Monday, March 10, 2014

An Easy Headband

OK, we are going to start small! If you can crochet even a little tiny bit, I promise you can do this project!  It is only chains and double crochet.

I used white cotton yarn and red and white polka dot ribbon because this head band is part of our "crafting to Disney" project and I think this is very Minnie Mouse!





Supplies:
  • Cotton yarn in any color (I used Lily Sugar n Cream)
  • Size G crochet hook
  • Pretty 3/8" ribbon of your choice in color to coordinate with cotton yarn
  • Sewing needle
  • Thread that matches the cotton yarn
  • OPTIONAL:  A hair elastic/hair tie/ponytailer holder (I've lived in different parts of the country and everything seems to call this something different!)
Row 1: Start your headband by crocheting a long chain. I did 75 chain stitches for the headband with the hair tie. If you want to do the headband version that uses a ribbon bow, you can use less. I used 65 chain stitches for that version. You can customize this to your own needs. You want it to go about 3/4 of the way around your head for the bow version and a bit more for the elastic band version.




Row 2: Double crochet into second chain from hook.


Chain 3.



Skip next 3 stitches on chain and double crochet (DC) into fourth stitch.



 Repeat this pattern of chain 3, skip 3, DC to the end of the chain.



When you get to the end, you want there to be a double crochet stitch in the last chain of your base row, so adjust how many chains you make and how many stitches you skip so that you end up where you need to be. For me, I ended up with five chains left, so I chained four, skipped four stitches and ended with a double crochet in the last stitch.






Fasten off your yarn and weave your ends in neatly.


Cut your ribbon. To tie your headband with a bow, you will need enough ribbon to wrap all the way around your head plus tie a bow. For the hair elastic/ponytail holder version, you want your ribbon to be about 2 inches shorter than you'd need to wrap all the way around your head. This isn't an exact science and there's plenty of room to fix it if you cut it too long.


(I used my head form from my hat business to measure approximately how much ribbon I'd need to go around my head and tie a bow. )


Add your ribbon. weave ribbon in and out through the posts you made with your double crochet stitches.




Leave an equal amount of ribbon on each end of your crocheted piece.

Sew your ribbon into place. Once you have your ribbon centered the way you want it, sew your ribbon into place on the ends of the crocheted part of the headband. A few simple stitches to tack it into place are all you need. Don't worry, you don't need to be a seamstress. I'm surely not! This will just prevent it from bunching up on you.

For bow version:
Here's a quick YouTube video on how to melt the edges of your ribbon so they don't fray:


If you prefer a tighter fit or a head band that will stay in place a little better, you can continue on to the next step. Remember, you need a much shorter piece of ribbon to do this version because you don't need enough to tie a bow!

Wrap your ribbon around the hair elastic and sew it into place. You could do this with a machine or by hand, whatever is more comfortable for you. Either way it'll take about a minute! I sewed back and forth three times to make it nice and strong.




Do the same thing on the other side. You can adjust it before you sew down the other side by putting it on your head and figuring out how tight or loose you want it.



This is what it will look like from the back. The elastic band gives it some stretch and helps it hold tight.



Wear and enjoy!



Love the headband but don't want to make it yourself? Contact me at my business page on Facebook for purchasing options. I can do custom designs in any colors of your choice. Toluver's Creations on Facebook



Supplies used in this project:

No comments:

Post a Comment